Will and be going to - Narendra Sharad

Recent

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Will and be going to

What's the difference? 'Will' and 'be going to'

Will + infinitiveBe going to + infinitive
A decision at the moment of speaking:

Julie: There's no milk.
John: Really? In that case, I'll go and get some.
A decision before the moment of speaking:

Julie: There's no milk.
John: I know. I'm going to go and get some when this TV programme finishes.
A prediction based on opinion:

I think the Conservatives will win the next election.
A prediction based on something we can see (or hear) now:

The Conservatives are going to win the election. They already have most of the votes.
A future fact:

The sun will rise tomorrow.
For promises / requests / refusals / offers:

I'll help you tomorrow, if you like.


More examples:

  • (The phone rings)
    Julie: I'll get it!
    ('I'm going to get it' is very strange, because it makes us think that Julie knew the phone was going to ring before it did).

  • I'm going to go on holiday next week.
    ('I'll go on holiday next week' makes it sound like you've only just decided at that minute. Of course, this is possible, but normally we plan our holidays more in advance!).

Other points about the future:

We use the present continuous tense for definite future arrangements. Often, it doesn't really matter if we choose 'be going to' or the present continuous. In the following example, there is really very little difference in meaning:

  • I'm going to the cinema tonight.
  • I'm going to go to the cinema tonight.

We use the present simple tense in two cases. First, we use it for a timetabled event in the future, like public transport or the start of a class:

  • My train leaves at six tonight.
  • His class starts at 9am tomorrow.

Second, we use it after certain words, when the sentence has a future meaning. These words are: before / after / as soon as / until / when:

  • I'll call you when I get home.
  • She's going to study after she finishes dinner.
  • Please drink some water as soon as you complete the race.


Will vs Going to! Learn the difference between Will and Going to in English with grammar rules, video and example sentences. In this section, we are going to be looking at which times you will need to use ‘will’ and which times you will need to use ‘going to.’ This will make your speech and writing sound much more fluid and fluent.

When talking about an event that is going to happen in the future, there is more than one possibility. Most often, you will use the phrases ‘will’ or ‘going to’ in order to refer to an upcoming event, but sometimes students of the English language can become confused over which one to use and when.

In English grammar, both “Will” and “Be Going to” are used to express future tense but they do not have the same meaning.

Will and Going to Similarity in Usage

  • Both Will and Going to can be used for making future predictions without having a real difference in meaning.

Example:

I think it will be foggy tomorrow. = I think it is going to be foggy tomorrow.

Will and Going to Differences in Usage

  • Will is used to express future actions decided at the moment of speaking while Going to describes future plans decided before the moment of speaking.

Examples:

I‘ll have salad now. (will)

I’m going to visit my aunt next Friday. (going to)

  • Will is used to indicate a prediction based on personal opinions or experiences while going to is used to express a prediction based on present evidence.

Examples:

I think United will win the game. (will)

Look at those black clouds. It is going to rain. (going to)

  • Will expresses a future fact; going to is used to describe something is about to happen.

Examples:

The sun will rise tomorrow. (will)

Get back! The bomb is going to explode. (going to)

  • Will is used to make a promise, an offer, a threat or refusal.

Examples:

A promise:

I promise I won’t tell anyone you broke the window.

An offer:

I‘ll take you to the airport tomorrow.

A threat:

I‘ll tell your parents what you did.

A refusal:

No, I won’t cook your dinner, you can cook it yourself.

Will vs Going to Chart | Pictures

Will vs Going to! Learn the Difference Between Will and Going to in English with grammar rules, video and example sentences. Pin

Will vs Going to | Difference Between Will and Going toPin

Will vs Going to Video


1. “Will” is  used to make prediction. There  is no evidence. It is just our personal opinion.

Examples:

  • Perhaps it will rain. (It is just prediction. )
  • Maybe he will come again. (It is just prediction. )

 Be Going To” is used to make predicition. If there is an evidence, it is preferred  instead of “will”.

Examples:

  • Look at those black clouds. It is going to rain. ( There is an evidence, most probably being rainly )
  • Be careful! The bee is going to bite you.

2. Will” is used for unplanned actions in future.

Examples:

  • will fly to England. ( I don’t have a flight ticket or reservation. )
  • We will see you again. ( just We think to see you again in future, there is no a definite or exact date or plan )
  • She will be a doctor. ( She is not a university students but she wants to be a doctor in future )

 Be Going To” is used to indicate planned actions.

Examples:

  • I have got a flight ticket to 3 o’clock tomorrow. I‘m going to fly to England.
  • They have made reservations for their summer holiday. They’re going to spend their holiday in London.
  • Jully is calling her friends for breakfast. She is going to make a delicious breakfast tomorrow.



Future - Will vs. Going to

English Grammar Rules


A very confusing concept is when to use WILL and when to use BE GOING TO when we refer the future.

Both refer to the future and there is a slight difference between the two though in most cases they can be used interchangeably with no difference in meaning. Even if you misuse them, a native speaker is going to understand you without any problems.

Quick Summary Chart

The difference between WILL and GOING TO in English

When to use GOING TO

The structure BE GOING TO is normally used to indicate the future but with some type of connection to the present. We use it in the following situations:

1. When we have already decided or we INTEND to do something in the future. (Prior Plan)

The decision has been made before the moment of speaking.

  • They're going to retire to the beach - in fact they have already bought a little beach house.
  • I'm going to accept the job offer.

2. When there are definite signs that something is going to happen. (Evidence)

Something is likely to happen based on the evidence or experience you have.

  • I think it is going to rain - I just felt a drop.
  • I don't feel well. I think I'm going to throw up. (throw up = vomit)

3. When something is about to happen:

  • Get back! The bomb is going to explode.

When to use WILL

In other cases, where there is no implicit or explicit connection to the present, use WILL:

1. For things that we decide to do now. (Rapid Decisions)

This is when you make a decision at that moment, in a spontaneous way.

  • I'll buy one for you too.
  • I think I'll try one of those. (I just decided this right now)

2. When we think or believe something about the future. (Prediction)

  • My team will not win the league this season.
  • I think it will rain later so take an umbrella with you.

Note: You can use both Will and Going to for making future predictions.

3. To make an offer, a promise or a threat.

  • I'll give you a discount if you buy it right now.
  • I promise I will behave next time.
  • I'll take you to the movies if you'd like.

4. You use WON'T when someone refuses to do something.

  • I told him to take out the trash but he won't do it.
  • My kids won't listen to anything I say.
  • My car won't start.

Future Predictions

As you can see, both Will and Going to can be used for making future predictions without having a real difference in meaning.

  • The weather report says it will rain tomorrow. (Correct)
  • The weather report says it is going to rain tomorrow. (Correct)

Compare Will vs. Going To

If someone asks: "Are you busy this evening?"

If I respond: "Yes, I'm going to the movies." I use going to because it is a plan I made earlier (before I was asked the question). - In this case we cannot use Will.

If I haven't made plans, then you can say either: "I will probably watch TV." OR "I'm probably going to watch TV."

Both will and going to are possible in this situation because we are predicting what will happen (since we haven't made any plans).


sources: Different online websites 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages